Trump Officials Push to Expand Testosterone Access, Dividing Medical Experts
The Trump administration is pushing to make testosterone replacement therapy easier to prescribe, a policy shift backed by Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. that has reignited a decades-old debate over the benefits and risks of hormone therapy for aging men.
According to AP News, the Food and Drug Administration proposed rewriting prescribing instructions last month to clear the way for using testosterone against age-related symptoms such as low libido and erectile dysfunction. Currently, FDA labels emphasize that the hormone is only approved for abnormally low testosterone levels caused by serious medical conditions or injury.
At the same time, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced on July 15 that all active-duty and reserve service members aged 30 and older will undergo mandatory annual screening for testosterone deficiency, with voluntary treatment offered to those who qualify.
A Shift Driven by New Evidence
The policy changes follow the landmark TRAVERSE clinical trial, an FDA-mandated study of over 5,200 men aged 45 to 80 with low testosterone and high risk of heart disease. Published in 2023, the trial found no increase in heart attack, stroke, or related cardiovascular problems among men receiving daily testosterone gel compared to a placebo over two years.
Based on these results, the FDA removed a boxed warning about cardiovascular risks from all testosterone products in February 2025, though it added a new warning about increased blood pressure based on ambulatory blood pressure monitoring studies.
“I think FDA’s label changes are very welcome and they are bringing us a big step forward,” said Dr. Shalender Bhasin of Harvard Medical School, who co-authored the TRAVERSE trial and the Endocrine Society’s treatment guidelines. “But I think there’s a lot more to be done to better define the safety and efficacy.”
The Case for Expanded Access
Proponents argue that the old restrictions went too far, preventing men with genuine quality-of-life issues from accessing treatment. Dr. Justin Dubin, a urologist at Baptist Health Miami Cancer Institute, told AP News that “many providers have been trained for years that these were real issues, and they were scared to get a testosterone reading from a patient or offer them testosterone therapy.”
Dr. Helen Bernie, a urologist and director of sexual health at Indiana University, echoed that sentiment: “The majority of people we see in our office are regular men complaining of these common symptoms because they’re dramatically affecting their quality of life.”
NIH studies involving nearly 800 older men showed that testosterone therapy improved erectile dysfunction, libido, and other sexual measures, with a small positive effect on mood. The growing acceptance of men’s sexual health as a legitimate medical concern, beginning with the introduction of Viagra in the 1990s, has also contributed to the shifting landscape.
The Case for Caution
Critics warn that easing restrictions could trigger a return to the overprescribing that characterized the early 2010s “low T” boom, when drugmakers spent millions on television ads and annual sales exceeded $2 billion despite lacking FDA approval for most advertised uses.
A recent study by Michigan researchers found that only 12% of men receiving testosterone prescriptions met the Endocrine Society’s criteria of documented symptoms plus two blood tests confirming low levels. The Guardian reported that five of six men’s health experts contacted by Reuters expressed puzzlement and concern about Hegseth’s military screening plan.
Dr. Bhasin noted a fundamental diagnostic challenge: “These symptoms overlap with symptoms of human aging in men, so there’s a high risk of misdiagnosis and that’s led to the controversy.”
Fertility risks are a particular concern. Testosterone therapy shuts down the body’s natural hormone production, stopping sperm production. “If you just dole out the testosterone, the testes will shrink,” said Dr. Kevin McVary, a urologist. “And you can’t reliably count on them coming back.”
Other risks include blood thickening, prostate issues, acne, hair loss, and mood volatility. The Endocrine Society has recommended studies of 15 to 20 years to assess long-term risks, particularly for prostate cancer.
The Military Dimension
Hegseth’s screening mandate, which he announced in a video captioned “High-T Department,” frames testosterone optimization as a matter of military readiness. The BBC reported that the Pentagon said the program would help troops “operate at their absolute best.”
The policy is partly aimed at addressing “operator syndrome,” a condition affecting special forces that includes low testosterone, traumatic brain injury, and hormonal dysregulation. But Dr. B Christopher Frueh of the University of Hawaii, whose team first described the syndrome in 2020, cautioned that special forces operators “are at an extreme end of a spectrum” and are not representative of all military personnel.
Critics also note that the Pentagon has not provided detailed guidance on how abnormal test results will be evaluated or whether screenings will apply equally to women.
What’s Next
The FDA’s proposed label changes are still under review, and the agency has not announced a specific timeline for finalizing them. The military screening program is set to begin with the next cycle of periodic health assessments. Long-term questions remain about insurance coverage for age-related testosterone therapy, regulation of telehealth prescribing, and whether safeguards will prevent a repeat of the early 2010s marketing boom.
As the administration pushes forward on multiple fronts, the central tension remains: how to expand access for men with genuine medical needs while avoiding the overprescribing that past experience has shown is all too easy.