US-Iran Hormuz Standoff: Airstrikes Fail to Break Deadlock
The United States launched its 10th consecutive night of airstrikes on Iran on Tuesday, while Tehran attacked a tanker in the Strait of Hormuz and struck US allies across the Gulf — a pattern that analysts say reveals the limits of Washington’s reliance on air power to compel Iranian capitulation. As both sides double down on military escalation, the conflict has collapsed an interim ceasefire deal, left additional American troops dead, and driven oil prices past $90 a barrel, raising urgent questions about the viability of the Trump administration’s strategy.
Background: A Conflict Deepens
The war began on February 28, 2026, when the US and Israel launched coordinated strikes against Iran, killing several high-ranking officials including Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Iran responded by blocking the Strait of Hormuz in late March — a strategically vital waterway through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and gas supplies normally pass. A Pakistani-mediated interim ceasefire, the Islamabad Memorandum, was signed on June 17 but collapsed on July 8 after both sides accused each other of violations.
Since then, the conflict has escalated dramatically. On July 21, Iran attacked a tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, forcing its crew to abandon ship. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed two oil tankers were hit after attempting to transit an “unsafe” southern route. Iran also launched attacks against Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan, while Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels announced a maritime blockade against Saudi Arabia, threatening the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and further endangering global energy supplies.
The Limits of Air Power
Despite the intensity of the US bombing campaign — which has struck military command centers, air defense sites, coastal surveillance systems, and missile launch sites — Iran has refused to relent. According to AP News, the US hit 13,000 targets in the first six weeks of the war alone, yet failed to sway Tehran.
“The U.S. hit 13,000 targets in the first 6 weeks of the war, and this didn’t sway Iran to take a knee,” said David Schenker, a former Trump administration official now at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
Christopher Preble, a scholar at the Stimson Center, told AP that “President Trump certainly has the capability to continue to bomb, and Iran will have the capability to continue to keep the strait closed — or closed well enough.” Retired Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall noted that Iran has had time to conceal and disperse its weapons, making fixed-target strikes less effective: “The easy targets are pretty much gone.”
A Flustered Administration?
Analysts have questioned whether the Trump administration has a coherent strategy for extricating itself from the conflict. Alan Eyre, a former US diplomat now at the Middle East Institute, told AP News that “this administration currently is flustered. It really doesn’t have a coherent and consistent strategy as to how to extricate itself from this quagmire.”
Mona Yacoubian, director of the Middle East Program at CSIS, described the situation as driven by “a calculus on either side that they can double down on military escalation as a way of breaking the impasse and getting the other side to relent.” She warned that “the more escalatory it becomes, the harder it will be to seize any potential opening back to diplomacy.”
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has maintained that the US remains open to negotiations, telling reporters: “The United States always remains open to a diplomatic solution, and we’ve tried multiple times with Iran, and we’ll continue to try.” However, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian declared on July 20 that Iran is engaged in a “full-scale war” with the United States, as reported by The Guardian. The IRGC stated that “as long as America’s acts of aggression in the region continue, the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed.”
Global Economic Fallout
The standoff has created a global energy crisis. Oil prices have risen past $90 a barrel, reaching their highest in a month, and US gasoline prices are climbing — posing political problems for Republicans ahead of the November 2026 midterm elections. The Houthi blockade of Saudi ports threatens alternative Red Sea routes, and Saudi oil exports have hit record lows.
Trump has threatened to target a reported Iranian nuclear centrifuge site at “Pickaxe Mountain,” warning that the US will hit the area “very heavily.” He has also vowed that “every time Iran kills an American Soldier going forward, they will pay for that killing many times over.” Since the war began, 17 US service members have been killed.
What’s Next?
Mediators including Qatar and Pakistan continue to speak to both sides, and a proposal for a 10-day ceasefire has been floated. But mutual trust is virtually nonexistent. As Asia Times noted, the Hormuz standoff is “a structural mismatch: American strikes can punish and degrade but not permanently secure the strait, while Iranian attacks can disrupt and intimidate but not close it on Tehran’s terms.”
With both sides showing no signs of backing down and the November midterm elections approaching, the question hanging over the region is not who will win at Hormuz — but how long global energy markets and Gulf neighbors can continue absorbing the cost of a fight that neither party appears able to decisively end.