US Strikes Iran for 12th Night, Threatens Civilian Targets
The United States military has completed its 12th consecutive night of airstrikes against Iran, as President Donald Trump escalated the conflict by threatening to destroy Iranian bridges and power plants in retaliation for any attack on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The sustained bombardment marks a significant intensification of the war that began on February 28, 2026, with no diplomatic resolution in sight.
Escalation of Military Operations
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed that the latest round of strikes concluded on the evening of July 22, targeting Iran’s maritime capabilities, missile and drone storage facilities, coastal surveillance sites, and air defense assets. According to Associated Press, the strikes were designed to “further degrade Iran’s ability to threaten civilian mariners and commercial vessels transiting regional waters.”
Iranian state media reported that U.S. missiles struck locations near the cities of Ahvaz, Ramshir, and Andimeshk in western Iran. Two people were killed and 11 wounded in a strike on the Shalamcheh border crossing with Iraq, according to Iranian officials.
Trump’s Civilian Infrastructure Threat
In a dramatic escalation of rhetoric, President Trump declared on social media that the United States would “bomb and destroy ONE BRIDGE OR POWER PLANT” each time Iran attacks a ship in the Strait of Hormuz, including those “located next to, or in, the Capital City of Tehran.” As BBC News reported, the threat covers any form of attack “whether it be by Missile, Rocket, Drone, or any other device or weapon.”
International law generally prohibits attacks on civilian infrastructure unless it is being used for military purposes, raising concerns about potential violations of the Geneva Conventions. The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has previously called for attacks on civilian infrastructure to “must stop.”
Iran’s Response
Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi responded by announcing an “eye for an eye” defense doctrine, warning that “any aggression against Iran, including our infrastructure, will compel a powerful and decisive response.” Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf brushed off Trump’s threats, stating that “the situation of the strait will not return to prewar conditions.”
According to CNBC, an unnamed Iranian military source told state media that if the U.S. targets bridges or power plants, Iran will “strike infrastructure and bridges in the region, including energy facilities where the United States has interests.”
Regional Fallout
The conflict continues to draw in regional actors. Houthi rebels in Yemen, backed by Iran, attacked two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea. Jordan and Bahrain reported intercepting Iranian missiles and drones, while Kuwait’s air defenses confronted hostile drones. The United Kingdom temporarily withdrew diplomatic staff from its embassy in Tehran due to the deteriorating security situation.
At the ASEAN summit in Manila, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio defended the military campaign, arguing that allowing Iran to control an international waterway would set a “very dangerous precedent” for the world. As Al Jazeera reported, Rubio said the U.S. remains open to negotiations but accused Iran of not being “serious about making a deal.”
Economic and Political Costs
The war’s economic toll is mounting. Benchmark Brent crude rose to more than $93 per barrel, up from less than $72 earlier in July, while U.S. gasoline prices reached $4.06 per gallon — a 29% increase from a year ago. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth estimated the war has cost $37.5 billion as of July 22.
The House adopted a $95 billion Republican-only budget proposal to fund the war in a 216-214 vote, with all Democrats opposed. As Forbes reported, a recent Politico survey found that less than half of those who identify as MAGA believe the war is worth its economic costs, down 13 percentage points since May.
Diplomatic Stalemate
Despite mediation efforts by Pakistan and Turkey, diplomatic progress remains stalled. The Pakistan-brokered Islamabad Memorandum signed on June 17, which had established a ceasefire framework and lifted the dual blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, collapsed on July 8 after attacks by both sides. An Arab diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, described the chances for improvement as “bleak.”
What to Watch
The coming days will determine whether Trump follows through on his threat to target civilian infrastructure — a move that would represent a significant escalation with serious legal and humanitarian implications. The trajectory of oil prices, which are approaching the $100 per barrel threshold, will be a critical indicator of global economic impact. Meanwhile, the ability of regional mediators to revive diplomatic channels remains uncertain as both sides appear dug in.