Trump Orders Pause in Iran Strikes Amid Diplomatic Push
President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military to halt airstrikes against Iran on July 24, breaking a streak of 13 consecutive nights of escalating aerial attacks, as an Omani diplomatic delegation arrived in Tehran to negotiate reopening the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz. The pause marks the most significant de-escalatory move in the five-month conflict, though Trump simultaneously threatened that the U.S. could intensify operations if diplomatic efforts falter.
Context: A War at a Crossroads
The development comes against the backdrop of the 2026 Iran war, which began on February 28 when the United States and Israel launched coordinated airstrikes under Operation Epic Fury, targeting Iranian military facilities and nuclear sites. In retaliation, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) closed the Strait of Hormuz — a 21-mile-wide chokepoint through which roughly 20% of global oil transits — boarding ships, laying sea mines, and attacking vessels. Shipping through the strait dropped near zero, and oil prices surged faster than during any conflict in recent history, with Brent crude peaking at $126 per barrel.
According to Wikipedia, the closure became the largest disruption to world energy supply since the 1970s energy crisis. Multiple diplomatic efforts — including the Islamabad Talks in April and the Islamabad Memorandum in June — failed to secure a lasting resolution. An interim truce collapsed on July 8 after Iran struck commercial ships, triggering 13 days of sustained U.S. airstrikes that inflicted significant casualties.
The Pause: A Tactical Decision
The decision to pause strikes was first reported by Axios and confirmed by multiple news outlets. As Xinhua News reported, citing two知情人士 (sources familiar with the matter), Trump had approved military strike plans daily for the prior two weeks, with operations typically executed within hours. On July 24, however, he did not approve the plan and instead instructed the military to stand down. It remains unclear whether the pause is a one-day tactical decision or signals a broader strategic shift.
The Anadolu Agency reported that the decision suggests Trump wants to allow more room for diplomacy and recognizes that the current level of U.S. strikes has reached its practical limit without expanding into major combat operations. The U.S. military continues preparing for potential escalation, but Trump has not authorized such a move.
Omani Mediation: A Diplomatic Window
Hours before the strike pause, an Omani delegation arrived in Tehran for negotiations on reopening the Strait of Hormuz. The timing was no coincidence. Regional sources indicated that the U.S. bombing was “intentionally paused so as not to disrupt the delicate in-person diplomacy,” as CBS News reported.
Two regional sources said the talks have made progress and that Oman and Iran could reach an agreement over the weekend, after which Trump would decide whether to accept the proposed terms. Speaking at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, Trump said of Iran: “I don’t think they’re ready to. I don’t think it’s time yet, but I’m willing to listen.”
Earlier that day, Trump told reporters: “We’re talking to (the Iranians) right now. I think they’re getting more and more serious as the days go by. We’re locked and loaded and ready to go, but we’re talking to them.” He also threatened that the U.S. could “raise it to a higher level” if necessary.
Iran’s Reaction: A Peaceful Night
For the first time in nearly two weeks, Iran reported no overnight strikes. Health Ministry spokesperson Hossein Kermanpour posted on X: “It seems that our dear Iran had a peaceful night last night,” according to The Straits Times. The U.S. Central Command did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
However, tensions remain high. Iran’s IRGC said it stopped four ships attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz over the past 24 hours, firing warning shots and forcing them to alter course. Separately, the U.S. military disabled a commercial ship attempting to run the naval blockade of Iran, firing into its engine room after the crew ignored multiple warnings.
Houthi Escalation: A Second Front
Even as the U.S.-Iran front showed signs of de-escalation, the conflict threatened to widen. On July 25, Iran-aligned Houthi rebels in Yemen launched missile and drone attacks on Saudi Aramco oil facilities in the Red Sea ports of Jizan and Yanbu. Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group successfully struck its targets, vowing: “We will not hesitate to expand our operations and escalate our actions… within the equation of a blockade for a blockade and an escalation for an escalation.”
The Saudi-led coalition responded with strikes on Houthi positions in Yemen’s Hodeidah, Marib, and al-Jawf provinces, effectively ending the fragile ceasefire that had held since 2022. Yanbu is Saudi Arabia’s main Red Sea oil port, where millions of barrels are loaded daily, and has become the primary alternative route for Saudi oil exports since Iran blockaded the Strait of Hormuz.
The Houthi attacks raise the prospect of a two-front maritime crisis, threatening both the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf and the Bab el-Mandeb Strait at the southern entrance to the Red Sea — two of the world’s most critical energy chokepoints.
Economic Stakes
The conflict continues to reverberate through global energy markets. Brent crude fell to approximately $96 per barrel on July 24 after spiking above $100 earlier in the week. U.S. gasoline prices have risen to $4.11 per gallon, up 30% from $3.16 a year ago. Shipping insurance rates for transits through the region have increased four to sixfold since the war began.
Casualties
The human toll of the conflict remains significant. Iran’s health ministry reported that 59 people have been killed and 666 wounded in the past month of U.S. strikes alone. Total war fatalities include over 3,500 Iranians since February 28, while the Pentagon has confirmed 18 U.S. service members killed and 482 wounded.
What to Watch
Several critical developments loom in the coming days:
-
Oman-Iran Deal: Potential agreement on reopening the Strait of Hormuz could be reached over the weekend. Trump must then decide whether to accept the terms.
-
Netanyahu-Trump Meeting (July 28): Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to meet Trump in Washington on Tuesday. Israel has consistently pushed for maintaining military pressure on Iran.
-
Yemen Escalation: The Houthi-Saudi conflict could draw in additional regional actors, further destabilizing the Middle East.
-
Russia-Ukraine-Iran Nexus: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has accused Russia of providing satellite imagery to Iran for targeting U.S. bases, a claim that could complicate U.S.-Russia relations.
The coming days will be decisive in determining whether the pause in strikes represents a genuine step toward de-escalation or merely a brief tactical interlude in a conflict that has already reshaped global energy markets and the geopolitical landscape of the Middle East.