Sunday, August 23, 2026

Manila Hit by Twin Security Incidents Ahead of Marcos SONA

Valyrian News Network 4 min read

Manila Rocked by Twin Security Incidents Ahead of Marcos SONA

Two separate security incidents involving improvised explosive devices (IEDs) struck Metro Manila in the early hours of July 27, hours before President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. was set to deliver his fifth State of the Nation Address (SONA). An explosion damaged a vehicle outside the Department of Justice (DOJ) compound in Manila at around midnight, while a suspected IED was safely recovered near the Senate premises in Pasay City later that morning. No casualties have been reported in either incident.

Background: A Capital on Edge

The twin incidents unfolded on one of the most politically significant days of the year, as President Marcos prepared to address a joint session of Congress at the Batasang Pambansa Complex in Quezon City. According to The Manila Times, the Philippine National Police had previously stated that no specific security threats had been monitored ahead of the SONA, making the timing of the incidents particularly concerning.

Explosion at the DOJ Compound

At approximately 12:17 a.m. local time on Monday, an improvised explosive device detonated near the entrance of the DOJ main compound along Padre Faura Street in Ermita, Manila. The blast caused slight damage to a parked Toyota Innova but resulted in no injuries, the DOJ confirmed.

In a statement, the department said: “There are no reported casualties, and the Philippine National Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal (PNP-EOD) Unit was immediately notified and responded to conduct a technical examination.”

The Daily Tribune reported that elements of the Armed Forces of the Philippines National Capital Region Command were also deployed to secure the perimeter of the compound. DOJ Spokesperson Atty. Polo Martinez told reporters that investigators are reviewing CCTV footage and other available evidence as part of the ongoing investigation.

“The situation is currently under control, and the DOJ compound remains secure,” the DOJ added, affirming that operations continue uninterrupted.

Suspected IED Recovered Near the Senate

Later that morning, a separate security incident unfolded outside the Senate premises on Diokno Boulevard in Pasay City. According to Inquirer.net, an employee of a towing service flagged a suspicious device during a routine security inspection by Pasay City Police Station personnel.

The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) confirmed that PNP-EOD operatives implemented a Render Safe Procedure (RSP) utilizing the Hand Entry Technique to safely examine and neutralize the suspected IED. The operation was successfully completed without incident and yielded a positive result for the presence of explosive components or materials.

Items recovered from the device included a 9V battery, a blasting cap, a clock serving as a timing mechanism, and a plastic jar containing a brown powder suspected to be an explosive material.

Philippine National Police Chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. confirmed that authorities are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the suspected IED.

Questions of Connection

Authorities have not yet determined whether the two incidents are connected, though their proximity in timing and the shared use of IEDs have raised obvious questions. Both targeted major government institutions — the DOJ, the nation’s prosecution arm, and the Senate, its legislative chamber.

The Daily Tribune noted that the blast “prompted authorities to tighten security hours before President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s State of the Nation Address,” while Inquirer.net explicitly framed the Senate IED report as part of its SONA 2026 coverage.

Security Implications

The incidents have cast a shadow over what was already a high-security event. The PNP had previously clarified that no gun ban would be imposed for the SONA and had stated that no security threats were monitored in advance. The twin security breaches on the day itself raise significant questions about security preparedness.

In a separate report, Inquirer.net detailed the midnight explosion at the DOJ, noting the swift response by the PNP-EOD unit and the AFP personnel who secured the area.

Looking Ahead

As President Marcos delivers his fifth SONA, investigators continue working to determine the origin and perpetrators behind both incidents. The choice of targets — the DOJ and the Senate — and the timing on the day of the President’s annual address have led to widespread speculation about possible motives, though authorities have refrained from drawing conclusions.

The public and the international community will be watching closely for updates on the investigations, as well as any additional security measures that may be implemented in the wake of these incidents.