Sunday, August 23, 2026

Iran Strikes US Bases in Kuwait, Escalating Gulf Conflict

Valyrian News Network 4 min read

Iran Strikes US Bases in Kuwait, Escalating Gulf Conflict

Kuwait said on Friday it destroyed Iranian drones targeting “vital and military” facilities, after Iran’s military claimed to have struck US air bases in the Gulf state in a sharp escalation of the five-month US–Iran war. Kuwait reported material damage from falling debris but no casualties in the attack, which the country’s armed forces said had been detected and engaged since dawn, Fox News reported.

Kuwait intercepts Iranian drones targeting military facilities - Fox News video

Defense Ministry spokesperson Col. Saud Abdulaziz al-Atwan said the “hostile drones” were dealt with and destroyed, and that the attack on “several vital facilities and military installations” caused material damage from falling debris but no casualties, Anadolu Agency reported. A DPA report via Yahoo News quoted the Kuwaiti military describing the assault as “heinous Iranian aggression.”

What Iran says it hit

Iran’s Army announced it had launched suicide drones against fighter jet shelters, satellite communications systems and equipment warehouses at Ahmad Al Jaber Air Base in Kuwait, as part of the 27th phase of Operation Thunderbolt, Tasnim News Agency reported. The Army said the strike answered “recent aggression by the terrorist US military,” including what it called a “brutal attack” on a residential house on Qeshm Island.

In a separate operation, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said it destroyed two US drone shelters and a fuel storage facility for military aircraft and helicopters at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait, part of Operation Nasr-2, which it described as a punitive response to US aggression. Tasnim’s report on the IRGC statement quoted the corps saying the campaign to punish the “aggressor” would continue until US “occupiers and looters” are expelled from the region.

Kuwait did not independently confirm which facilities were hit, and as of Friday there was no immediate comment from US Central Command (CENTCOM) on the strike, Arab News reported. CENTCOM has previously disputed similar Iranian claims of damage at a US base in Jordan.

Deadly strike a day earlier

The Friday attack followed an Iranian strike on Thursday that hit a building belonging to a Chinese company in northern Kuwait, killing one worker and causing extensive material damage. Kuwait Times reported that China’s Embassy in Kuwait identified the victim as a Nepali driver working for a local subcontractor and called on all parties to “immediately halt hostilities.” The embassy reiterated Beijing’s position that attacks on innocent civilians or non-military targets must be condemned.

The escalation drew swift condemnation across the region. Kuwait’s foreign ministry denounced renewed Iranian missile attacks on Jordan and a drone strike on Egypt, while the UAE and Saudi Arabia also condemned the attacks on Kuwait and Jordan.

Background: A five-month war

The US and Iran have been at war since February 28, 2026, after US–Israeli airstrikes killed several Iranian officials, including Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, according to Wikipedia’s account of the conflict. Kuwait, which hosts US military facilities and appears among the US-aligned belligerents, has been repeatedly targeted by Iranian missile and drone attacks since hostilities began.

The latest exchange follows a week of renewed escalation. US strikes on Iran overnight Wednesday–Thursday killed three members of a family on Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz, according to local media cited by Al Jazeera. Tehran cast Friday’s drone operation as retaliation for what it called a “blatant violation of humanitarian principles.”

Analysis: Two escalation strategies

Al Jazeera cited Ali Akbar Dareini, a Tehran-based researcher at the Center for Strategic Studies, describing a widening strategic contest: Washington is pursuing “vertical escalation” by ramping up military attacks against Iran, while Tehran is seeking “horizontal escalation” by expanding the conflict’s geographical scope. Iran, Dareini said, is now targeting the “staging grounds of future operations” and does not want to allow the US to decide when the war pauses or restarts.

The strikes on Kuwait underscore how Gulf states hosting American forces remain on the front line of a conflict that has spread from the Strait of Hormuz to the Red Sea and the Caspian Sea. Analysts cited by Al Jazeera say the moment to watch for is a direct attack that prompts a collective Gulf military response against Iran.

What’s next

With CENTCOM yet to comment on the record, the immediate question is whether the United States will respond militarily to the strikes on its bases in Kuwait, and how Kuwait will calibrate its own response. The escalation also complicates regional diplomacy: Saudi Arabia convened a 43-country coalition this week to discuss Red Sea security, even as the wider conflict continues to strain Gulf capitals.

Whether Iran’s widening of the front draws the US into deeper retaliation — or pushes both sides back toward negotiation — will shape the next phase of a war that has already reshaped the region.