Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sydney Building Collapse Injures 7, Two in Serious Condition

Valyrian News Network 5 min read

Sydney Building Collapse Injures 7, Two in Serious Condition

A building partially collapsed at a construction site in Sydney’s inner-city suburb of Ultimo on Monday morning, injuring seven people and prompting a major emergency response. Two men were taken to hospital in serious condition after the roof and adjoining brick wall of a former warehouse gave way, sending debris crashing onto cars parked at a neighbouring Shell petrol station.

Emergency services were notified of the collapse on Wattle Street on Monday morning, according to ABC News. A man in his 60s and a man in his 30s were removed from the rubble and transported to hospital — one to St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney and the other to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Both were treated for leg and neck injuries.

Context and Background

The collapsed structure was a former warehouse on Wattle Street in Ultimo, approximately two kilometres from Sydney’s central business district. In 2020, the City of Sydney Council approved a $9.5 million proposal to redevelop the site into a five-storey student accommodation complex with 72 boarding rooms. The building had stood as a redevelopment site since then, with demolition and construction work underway at the time of the incident.

Emergency Response

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Acting Superintendent Peter Murray described the incident as “a significant roof collapse,” noting that “a portion of that building has collapsed and some of the debris has come down and fallen onto some cars parked within the service station area.”

Three FRNSW teams were deployed to the scene, including urban search and rescue firefighters, alongside multiple ambulance units and NSW Police. Drones were used to assess structural damage without putting firefighters at risk, and atmospheric monitoring was conducted to check for electrical and gas hazards.

“It’s a situation that’s obviously very dangerous, particularly with the bricks, the walls, the weight of some of those bricks coming down as well,” Acting Superintendent Murray said, adding that it was “very fortunate that more people weren’t hurt.”

All construction workers at the site evacuated safely. Between 35 and 100 people were evacuated from surrounding buildings, according to varying reports. The adjacent Shell service station was shut down as a precaution, and two of four northbound lanes on Wattle Street were closed while emergency crews worked at the scene.

Witness Accounts

Ashleigh White, who manages the building behind the collapse site, said tenants reported hearing “a very loud bang” before the structure gave way. “The building did actually shake,” she said. “They were a bit concerned, I would be too, but they all got out pretty quickly and the police were wonderful just making sure everyone was out and safe.”

Ryan Khorianto, a worker at a nearby cafe, described the moment of the collapse: “The noise was very loud and two or three men were screaming. I just stopped making coffee and then ran out because all the people were running to the location as well… It was really scary.”

Abdou Mahrouk, a freelance worker at the Shell station, recalled seeing one of the injured men: “The two people outside, one person was very very injured. His foot was really injured.” He described hearing a “big explosion” as the wall crumbled.

Investigation and Regulatory Response

The site was handed over to SafeWork NSW for investigation, with inspectors arriving at the scene to begin gathering facts about the collapse. The Building Commission NSW, which regulates the construction industry, was also on site, along with officials from the CFMEU construction union.

Macroview Projects, which is managing the development, has been contacted for comment. The developer TQK Pty Ltd lodged the original plans for the student accommodation project, with Medida serving as the principal contractor. The Guardian reported that the men were being treated for leg and neck injuries following the partial collapse of the seven-metre-high structure.

Analysis and Implications

The collapse raises questions about construction safety practices at urban redevelopment sites in densely populated areas. The proximity of the building to a working petrol station and surrounding residential and commercial properties highlights the risks inherent in demolition and construction work in established neighbourhoods.

Fire and Rescue NSW Acting Superintendent Murray confirmed that firefighters remained on scene “assessing the building for any signs of any further structural collapse to ensure the safety of the area.” He also noted that there were no reports of anyone missing or trapped.

SBS News reported that workers assessed seven patients at the scene, with the two seriously injured men transported to different hospitals. The Sydney Morning Herald described “chaotic scenes” at the site, noting that dozens of people were evacuated from surrounding buildings.

What’s Next

SafeWork NSW’s investigation will focus on determining the cause of the structural failure, with findings expected to inform whether any regulatory action is taken against the parties involved. The area remained cordoned off as engineers assessed the stability of the damaged structure.

Authorities are urging the public to avoid the area until the site has been declared safe. The outcome of the investigation could have broader implications for construction oversight in New South Wales, particularly for projects involving the demolition of older structures in urban settings.