Bumble Retires Women-First Messaging After 12 Years
Bumble announced on Tuesday that it is eliminating its signature “women make the first move” feature, ending a defining characteristic of the dating app since its launch in 2014. Effective immediately, either person in a heterosexual match can send the first message, and the reply window has been extended from 24 to 72 hours. The new rules will roll out globally by the end of August, according to NBC News.
A Defining Feature Comes to an End
Bumble was founded in December 2014 by Whitney Wolfe Herd, who had previously been part of the founding team at Tinder. The app’s core premise was that in heterosexual matches, only women could initiate conversations—a deliberate design choice intended to shift power dynamics in online dating and reduce unwanted messages. This feature became Bumble’s core brand identity and set it apart from competitors like Tinder, where either user could message first.
Founder and CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd announced the change during the company’s Q2 2026 earnings call, framing it as a natural evolution rather than a retreat from the company’s principles. “While women making the first move was a radical idea, being women-first was never about prescribing just one way to connect,” she said in a statement. NBC News reported the full statement from the company. “It was about designing an experience with women’s needs in mind to create better outcomes for everyone. Today, our community is asking for more flexibility, less pressure, and more opportunities to create real, meaningful connections and that is what this new experience provides.”
The company said tests in Canada showed higher chat initiation rates, fewer expired chats, and more mutual conversations after the changes were introduced. Nearly two-thirds of women surveyed on Bumble say they prefer men to send the first message, and more than half of surveyed users preferred having more time to respond to first messages. Gay men and lesbians have always been able to send first messages on the app without restrictions.
A Gradual Shift Away from the Original Model
Bumble had been moving away from the women-message-first rule for some time. In March 2024, then-CEO Lidiane Jones signaled the company was reconsidering the feature, telling Fortune that “it feels like a burden for a subset of our users.” Two months later, the app introduced “Opening Moves,” which allowed men to respond to pre-selected prompts on women’s profiles—a partial step toward men initiating conversations, as Fortune reported at the time.
The Guardian noted that the move comes as dating-app companies across the globe grapple with user fatigue toward traditional swipe-based platforms and slowing growth, prompting some, including Bumble and Tinder-owner Match Group, to roll out new features and AI-powered tools aimed at improving engagement.
Financial Pressures Mount
The change comes amid significant financial struggles for Bumble. The company’s Q2 2026 revenue fell 15.2% year-on-year to $210.5 million, with paying users down 16.4%. Between Q2 2025 and Q2 2026, Bumble app revenue fell almost 15% and paying users fell almost 17%. The company also forecast third-quarter revenue below Wall Street estimates.
Bumble laid off approximately 30% of its global workforce—about 240 employees—in June 2025, as AP News reported. Reuters reported in June 2026 that Bumble was exploring a sale, working with Morgan Stanley. Bumble and competitor Tinder, owned by Match Group, have both reported consecutive declining rates of paying users, revenue, and stock slumps in recent years.
A Broader Overhaul: Killing the Swipe and Embracing AI
The messaging change is just one part of a broader overhaul at Bumble. The company is planning to kill the swipe feature entirely, replacing it with a system focused on “fewer, better, more considered signals,” according to Mashable. Wolfe Herd has kept the details under wraps for competitive purposes, but said it is “designed to generate more immediate interactions, and most importantly, better outcomes, mimicking real life and eliminating the friction and delay that exists in current dating app models.”
Bumble is also launching “Plans,” a group meetup feature as a standalone app, and developing “Bee,” an AI dating assistant. Wolfe Herd clarified that Bee is not replacing the swipe: “Bee is simply the intelligence under the hood.” New profile and onboarding updates are expected in early 2027, following a data migration delay.
Brand Identity Challenge
As Fortune’s Emma Hinchliffe noted, “Women make the first move” was always a better brand than a product feature. The problem now is that Bumble hasn’t found a strong identity to replace the one it’s leaving behind. Without its defining feature, what differentiates Bumble from Tinder or Hinge? The company’s core constituency is now Gen Z women, and it remains to be seen whether they will embrace the changes or continue to drift away.
Initial user reactions have been mixed. Some expressed disappointment on Bumble’s Instagram announcement, with one user writing, “Women making the first move was literally the whole point.” Others noted the change was inevitable given that many women preferred men to initiate conversations. The extension of the reply window from 24 to 72 hours addresses another long-standing user complaint about the pressure of responding quickly.
Het Laatste Nieuws reported that one user, Fred Hawken, described the change as “a very unfortunate evolution,” noting that the women-message-first feature made Bumble less stressful for men. “I don’t think women realize the pressure that lies on men’s shoulders by default expecting men to take the first step,” he wrote.
What’s Next for Bumble
Three in ten Americans report having used an online dating website or app, according to the Pew Research Center. The broader industry is at a crossroads, with users increasingly fatigued by swipe-based interfaces and looking for more meaningful connection mechanisms.
The question remains whether these changes can reverse Bumble’s decline or if the company will ultimately be sold. As Times of India noted, the urgency is on the balance sheet. With revenue falling and paying users declining, Bumble is betting that flexibility, less pressure, and a new approach to matching can win back users—and convince them to stay.
What to watch for next: the rollout of the new messaging rules globally by the end of August, the unveiling of the swipe replacement, and whether Bumble’s AI and real-life initiatives can provide the differentiation the company desperately needs.