Sunday, August 23, 2026

Iran Rejects Trump's Claim Over Strait of Hormuz

Valyrian News Network 5 min read

Iran Rejects Trump’s Claim Over Strait of Hormuz

Iran has issued a defiant response to US President Donald Trump’s unprecedented pledge to declare the Strait of Hormuz as American territory, asserting that the opening and closing of the critical oil shipping route rests exclusively with Tehran. Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said on Saturday that the strait “cannot be taken by a tweet, an aircraft carrier, an order, or a speech,” according to Xinhua News.

The Exchange

Trump made his provocative claim on Friday during an event in Long Island, New York, stating that “after we completely defeat Iran, very soon I will declare the Strait of Hormuz as American territory.” He added that the US had already imposed a blockade and that “no ship can pass unless we allow it,” as reported by Guancha.

Gharibabadi responded forcefully on social media, declaring that “the Strait of Hormuz was, is, and will be Iran’s. The opening and closing of this strait can only be controlled by Iran.” He told Washington to “fully accept reality” and warned that Iran “does not fear threats” and “will not yield to displays of force,” according to Guancha’s report.

“As long as you refuse to accept your defeat and refuse to abandon your fantasies, Iran will continue the blockade,” Gharibabadi said.

A Strategic Stalemate

The exchange represents the latest escalation in a rhetorical battle that reflects a deeper strategic stalemate over control of the world’s most critical maritime chokepoint. Both sides claim authority over the waterway that carries approximately 20 million barrels of oil per day—about 20-25% of global seaborne oil trade—along with roughly 20% of the world’s liquefied natural gas, according to the Wikipedia entry on the 2026 Strait of Hormuz crisis.

On August 10, Trump claimed the US Navy had “100% control” of the strait and that the waterway was “now open,” asserting that US forces had completed mine-sweeping operations, as reported by btime/CCTV. Two days later, he posted on social media that “America completely controls the Strait of Hormuz… Iran can do nothing about it.”

Iran has categorically rejected these assertions. IRGC Navy Commander Ali Azmayi stated on August 13 that the strait remains closed and that the IRGC maintains “comprehensive, firm control” over all activities in the waterway. The Iranian armed forces’ Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters declared that no ship can safely pass without Iranian permission, according to cnfol/CLS.

The Dual Blockade

The standoff has created what analysts describe as a “dual blockade” situation. Iran has blocked the strait to shipping, attacking commercial vessels and laying sea mines, while the US Navy has simultaneously blockaded Iranian ports. As of August 13, US forces had forced 55 merchant ships to change course, disabled 3 ships that refused to comply, and boarded 2 ships for inspection, cnfol/CLS reported.

US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has threatened an “indefinite” naval blockade, stating that the US military has sufficient resources to maintain the pressure campaign. The escalating standoff has pushed international oil prices up more than 5% in a single day, with Brent crude approaching $90 per barrel, according to cnfol/CLS.

Background: The 2026 Iran War

The current crisis stems from the 2026 Iran War, which began on February 28 when the United States and Israel launched coordinated airstrikes on Iran under “Operation Epic Fury.” The strikes killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and targeted military facilities, nuclear sites, and leadership positions, as documented in the Wikipedia article on the 2026 Iran War.

Iran responded by closing the Strait of Hormuz, triggering the largest disruption to world energy supply since the 1970s energy crisis. A June memorandum of understanding briefly reopened the strait, but the agreement collapsed in July after Iran struck commercial ships, and the US resumed its naval blockade.

Iran’s new Supreme National Security Council Secretary, Mohsen Rezaei, has made clear that the strait will not reopen until the US ends the war and blockade, releases Iran’s frozen assets, and agrees to a region-wide ceasefire, including in Lebanon and Gaza, according to Al Jazeera.

International Law and the Path Forward

Trump’s claim to declare the strait as US territory has no basis in international law. Under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, the Strait of Hormuz is an international strait subject to the right of transit passage, though the US has not ratified UNCLOS. Both Iran’s blockade and Trump’s territorial claim run counter to established maritime law principles.

The most promising diplomatic avenue remains the Iran-Oman negotiations over new shipping lane coordinates. On August 5, Iran announced agreement with Oman on new navigation arrangements that would create a temporary 60-day protocol with Iranian-controlled northern lanes and Omani-coordinated southern lanes, according to Xinhua. However, the fundamental disagreement over who controls the strait remains unresolved.

What to Watch

As both sides continue to assert control they do not fully possess, the risk of miscalculation remains dangerously high. Iran has laid out five conditions for reopening the strait, including a permanent end to US military operations, lifting of sanctions, and compensation for war losses. The US insists on unconditional reopening and free navigation.

With oil prices climbing and global energy security at stake, the world watches as two nations locked in a grinding conflict continue to escalate their rhetoric over a waterway that sustains the global economy. The coming weeks will determine whether diplomacy through Oman can break the deadlock—or whether the Strait of Hormuz becomes the flashpoint for further escalation in an already devastating war.